Is night hunting legal in your state? Roll Call!

Grizz here...
Hot damm! We got us a member on here from Britain welcome.
I've allways been facinated with everything British. From the history of the British Navy and Lord Nelson. To the Royal family and all the beheadings. If you ever make it to the states son, look me up! I'll show you some real night time varmint scanning. Wait, he's been on here alot longer than I have!!! Well, welcome anyway!

Here in Iowa you can but you have to do it by moon light or with a night vison scope no acrtifial light. So pretty much just do it during the day. Unless theres a fresh snow and a full moon then its bright enough to make out a coyote with in 50 yds.

Grizz
Thanks for the offer,I went PD shooting in South Dakota five years ago and that was great,so if I ever get over to your side of the pond again I'll let you know.

Quote:
Butchtango- Not to go against what you said but if you read the rule carefully you can hunt at night anytime without the aid of artificial light here in missouri and then it says this rule does not apply to land owners or leases residing on the land they are leasing.

OK. I want clarification. As usual, the MO Dept of Conservation leaves the regs vague enough to be interpreted a number of ways. I suppose this increases the number of tickets they can write. The code states,"Artificial lights may be used only to hunt bullfrogs and green frogs, or to hunt raccoons and other furbearing animals when treed with the aid of dogs. Using lights or any other night vision equipment to search for, spot, illuminate, harass, or disturb other wildlife is a violation of the Wildlife Code. This rule does not apply to landowners on their property.

Which rule doesn't apply to landowners? That Artifical lights may only be used to take furbearers that are treed by dogs, or using light or night vision to search for and spot other wildlife?

I just want to know if I can use a red light at night and call foxes and coyotes in on private land where I have permission. Is that legal?

Does that land owner have any live stock of any kind? If so here in iowa yes you can say you were shooting them because they were terrorizing live stock. You can NOT keep the hides or the meat off a deer if a farmer does do this or you have written permission from the land owner. Same for vaermin or any animal if it is doing something that the farmer don't like he can shoot it and move on.

Last edited:
Yes, besides cattle, he's got about 300 nanny goats and keeps losing kids periodically to coyotes. I'd imagine bobcats may get some now and then.

Quote:
I wasn't talking about hunting, I was talking about the whore houses, drinking and the gambling.

[beeep] Yes! I don't drive there just to shoot a few coyotes.
Grizz

Quote:
I 'spose it all depends on what you're huntin' for? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Nevada definitely has it all; from hot preds to crack heads, crack shots to crack pots, to loose wimmin' and loose slots. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I loves Nevada /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Grizz

WV allows night hunting from Jan. 1 til July 31. Must use red or yellow light. 22 rimfire or shotgun with #4 or smaller shot.

Jim

ILLINOIS YES NOT OUT OF TRUCK OR FROM ROAD DURING FOX SEASON 24 HOURS A DAY LASTS THREE MONTHS NOV.1 TO JAN 31. HAND HELD LITE ONLY ANY CAL. OR SHOTGUN NOT TO BAD FOR ILLINOIS

Originally Posted By: 243VLSILLINOIS YES NOT OUT OF TRUCK OR FROM ROAD DURING FOX SEASON 24 HOURS A DAY LASTS THREE MONTHS NOV.1 TO JAN 31. HAND HELD LITE ONLY ANY CAL. OR SHOTGUN NOT TO BAD FOR ILLINOIS

And... night vision is legal.

MoFarmBoy you would have to ask an agent about that. They are definately confusing on their rules here but if im reading it right the only time you can use any artificial light is when you have a coon or other furbearing animal treed with dogs or on land you own or lease but if your leasing the land you have to live there to be able to use light.

Vermont- Raccoon and skunk any hour within the season
Coyote - any hour but no lights allowed

Now I have never hunted at night but how do you hunt at night without lights? Would a full moon give you enough light to see a 100 yards or so???

Unless there is snow on the ground the moon aint going to do you any good in my opinion. And im not talking a light dusting either. We went one night and it snowed pretty good that day but the field we were in was grown up a little so there was patches of grass showing and we couldnt see past 50 yards and even at that it would of been hard to make out anything coming to the call. Josh

Mich. has a night hunt season- rimfire or shotgun only.
They also have an exception on private land for coons and yotes "when they are doing or are about to do damage" Then its just a matter of getting a good look at their eyes, You can just tell they're up to something!!

Back